10 Copyediting errors
1. Original: The fun starts with a week-long celebration of NFW called Shop Nashville where more than 40 boutiques and stores will be hosting special events, trunk shows and deals.
2. Original: The Shop Nashville events will start at 10:00 a.m. and run until 6:00 p.m. everyday.
Correction: 10 a.m. and 6 p.m.
3. Original: More often than not, the risk takers on the red carpet are the ladies.
4. Original: In the film Lee Abbott, acted and directed by John Krasinski, and his family must survive against a mysterious monster who tracks prey through sound.
Correction: In the film, Lee Abbott,
5. Original: In a movie made up of silence, I thought being deaf might be an advantage but it certainly led to disturbing scenes.
Correction: advantage, but
6. Original: However, the movie also takes the time to show that, even with disabilities, everyone has the chance to go beyond what is expected of them.
Correction: that even with disabilities,
7. Original: The term “cultural appropriator” and it’s less tasteful adjacent “culture vulture” have been thrown around quite a bit in recent times to describe a number of artists in contemporary music.
8. Original: “Culture” consists of 13 tracks with features from DJ Khaled, Uzi Vert, Gucci Mane, 2 Chainz and Travis Scott.
Correction: Lil Uzi Vert is not featured in the album
9. Original: Expectations were set at an all-time high when rapper and award-winning actor Childish Gambino gave the Migos shoutout at the Golden Globes earlier this month.
Correction: gave the Migos a shoutout
10. Original: With their unique production and abstract ab-libs, the group has changed the way in which Hip-Hop is traditionally viewed.
Copy edit for Sidelines
I went into the CIM on Tuesday, April 10 at 1 p.m., but unfortunately none of the Sidelines editors were there. I was able to get in contact with lifestyles editor Tayhlor Stephenson who contacted Brinley Hineman to send me an article to edit.
I edited a Netflix listicle written by Delaney Dickey, which included some minor errors in it. Most errors dealt with some redundancy, punctuation and AP style. I found it a little difficult to edit the listicle because it was a first-person opinion piece, so I tried to fix issues without changing the tone too much. I enjoyed editing the piece because it was different from what I would normally have to edit and also gave me good suggestions on what my next Netflix binge-watch series will be.